Re: [RFD] New driver system (was Adding new syscalls via modules)

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu)
05 Jul 1999 14:01:04 -0400

> Some examples:
> 1. ext2compr, Undelete Tools, KGI,... are patches.

- I've never heard of a kernel patch for undelete-tools.
- ext2compr is a patch to ext2fs which is itself a module, so it's
hard to see how improving the extensibility of the kernel will help.
- KGI... can't it be made a module as well ?

> A lot of virtual drivers: CD-ROM cache, HDD encryption,
> web acceleration, ...
> Most of these features can not be in full volume
> implemented in Linux without the evil patching the kernel.

CD-ROM cache amounts to CacheFS which can be made as a module.
HDD exists just fine.
web-acceleration ??

I'm not trying to say that more extendibility wouldn't be good, but that
there already is a good amount of flexibility and that what is missing
is not only/necessarily missing in the core itself.
If ext2fs could have demand-loaded extension modules it might allow to have
ext2compr as a ext2fs-module, but that won't just come for free.

Stefan