Re: Are there kernel testing suites out there? We need them.

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:33:13 +0200

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 08:18:04PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:

> > Automatic regression tests very rarely help. Most of the bugs that
> > get into a shipping kernel now are ones I can't reproduce even given a
> > description let alone find randomly
>
> But if the cost is negligible, even that "rarely" is worth it.
>
> Perhaps a start would be to run Larry McVoy's lmbench? That way you'd see
> if there are performance regressions too.

Actually lmbench has helped me to find a number of kernel bugs which no
application has catched. So yes, I think running lmbench is a good idea
beyond just messuring performance.

Ralf