Re: Mailbox

Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:20:28 +0200

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> You can get HP-UX information at http://docs.hp.com if you have a
> modern web browser.

Have done, and there I found stat(5):

another new one S_ISCDF(m) test for a context-dependent file
S_ISNWK(m) test for a network special

chmod(2) doesn't say much interesting except mentioning ACLs.
stat(2) mentions ACLs and Multi-Level Directories.
ls(1) says "n" is the character for a network special file.
"+" is displayed if there are ACLs, and ACLs don't work over NFS.
chmod(1) has -A to preserve optional ACL entries, that fails on
filesystems that don't support ACLs. chmod(1) has nothing else
interesting.

> BTW, I believe many of these can't actually exist on disk.
> Some of these (like S_IFSHAD AFAIK) are not seen by userspace.

It'd be nice to know which ones.

-- Jamie