Re: [RFC] File flags handling - proposal for API.

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:36:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> David Woodhouse wrote:
> > ftp <sitename>
> > get <dirname>.tar.gz
> >
> > What's your problem?
>
> I'm using one of the new-fangled "Office" apps so it looks like one
> document from the editing point of view -- with lots of things embedded
> in it.

So don't do it. Or deal with the results of your decisions. Any scenario
when users pay for cluelessness of lusers is unacceptable. Enough already.

> Scenario #1
> -----------
>
> Finished touching up todays report.
> "Save As" blahblah.doc, a flat file because the office apps work this way.
>
> Open mailer. "Attach File", works ok. All is well, Linux is wonderful.
>
> But... "Save As" took 2 minutes after a 1 word change. To store my 57
> 12Mbyte photos.

... then you are sending 700Mb-turd. It bounces. Your quota is exceeded.
Local BOFH is *not* amused finding said pile of crap in the postmaster's
mailbox. Especially since it's not the first time and just yesterday he
told you *never* do it again. As true luser you've ignored it. Suddenly
you notice the incoming mail Cc'd to you. It's addressed to Very Big Boss.
You open it and the first thing you see is the name of directory where
you kept your collection of smut ("..." - way 3133t'n'k3wl). Very Big
Boss... well, enough to say that she doesn't like such stuff. And staff.
In panic you are attempting to remove the thing. Too late. Some misterious
force (aka chsh and kill -9) logs you out. Your futile attempts to invent
something clever are interrupted by security folks appearing in your
cubicle. Couple of minutes later you are standing on the parking lot
waiting for your belongings to be thrown^Wbrought to you. When you come
home your SO looks at you funny. Then you notice opened anonymous letter.
Apparently it was thick enough to contain... You are beginning to guess
what.