Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 21:59:04 -0400 (EDT)

Damien Miller writes:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>> Damien Miller writes:

>>> What part of that can't you understand?

[snip rant]

> I don't see how what I wrote above has any relation to this
> accusatory rant.

I'd say the rant was well deserved, though I should stay cool.
You propose a totally unworkable solution. The NeXT is dead.
MacOS X (with some NeXT code) will be using multi-forked files
just like what the OS formerly known as NT 5 will be using.

While I don't claim documents-as-directories is 100% responsible
for the NeXT dying, it sure looks like a contributing factor.
I've heard of unrelated apps that changed format because users
simply will not accept documents-as-directories. You can't hide it.
There will always be some apps that fail to support the idea.
(the idea also puts a steep cliff in the middle of the learning curve)

> I cannot help the feeling that you are avoiding the question by
> recourse to irrelevant, emotional armwaving:
>
> Why can albods not be implemented as directories filled with
> files with a standard library to access them?

If you read linux-kernel, you have seen and ignored the answer.

> You way however is to introduce a kernel change which is, by
> nature, linux-only. Hope that the app developers use it. Hope

You could build a cross-platform library for MacOS X, the OS
formerly known as NT 5, and a properly hacked Linux system.

This argument is getting nowhere. Let's kill it, and not let anyone
start it again until after both the Apple and Microsoft products
have shipped. At that time we will know what features ought to
be supported.