Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream

Raul Miller (moth@magenta.com)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:09:33 -0400

Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
> I can't understand why you think normal people should not use Linux.
> More users means friendly hardware vendors. More users means I can
> read more of the email attachments I get. More users means I can buy a
> cheap off-the-shelf PC like everyone else and NOT pay the M$ tax.
>
> I think you know damn well that there will never be a GUI that
> covers the whole system well enough to _consistantly_ hide the use
> of directories to represent files. Such a GUI would have to cover
> everything everywhere. Who would maintain it?

So the GUI represents compound documents differently from simple
documents. Big deal -- it's a different icon.

GUI needs to support maybe two operations on this thing: move and open.
Whatever deals with "open" also needs to be able to save such documents.

Oh! This is TOO COMPLEX for me. I think we'd better rewrite the kernel.

--
Raul