Re: slocate never finishes in 2.2.10-ac8

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 00:18:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Thierry Danis wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 06:30:07PM -0400, Peter Clark wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, I had this same problem with a VFAT directory mounted under
> > 2.3.x kernels. I got around this by adding the VFAT tree to the
> > slocate's 'dont search me' configuration.
> >

> OK, I had forgotten that I had a VFAT mounted partition on
> that machine (not that I knew that it may have some problem).
> I tried to umount it before running slocate.cron and it had
> been OK.
>
> So, something is definitively broken between 2.2.10-ac4 and
> 2.2.10-ac8 regarding the VFAT code.

Please, look into strace to figure out what directory does it read *and*
look what does it do on the old kernels (in the same directory, that is).
Dump of the directory in question would also help.
Al