Re: linux headers and C++

Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:35:31 +0200

Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > Linux already uses more than a C compiler offers. The best answer
> > would be to merge gcc and g++, using a config file to enable the
> > features that Linus approves of. Linux could use "C+" then.
>
> C++ is much harder to maintain because there are a zillion obscure
> features people can use in there.

Albert suggests restricting g++ to those features approved by Linus,
enforcing it in the compiler. A bit far fetched I think.

I do think the code generation issue is fixed now though.
That was the originally objection to g++ -- back when g++ was used
to compile kernels for better type checking.

-- Jamie