Re: LDAP

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:25:30 +0400 (MSD)

In <37816B89.5FDD396A@adelaide.edu.au> Glen Turner (glen.turner@adelaide.edu.au) wrote:

> Raiden wrote:
>> Any LDAP compliance on Linux Kernel?
>> are any thingking about this point?

> Khimenko Victor replied:
>> Huh. Where it can be used in Linux kernel ??? Why it's
>> needed there ?

> LDAP is becoming the directory access mechanism adopted by
> large enterprises for user registration.

I know this. You can use LDAP with Linux via PAM module and openldap library
just fine. I plan to use such combination itself in the future.

> So LDAP support in the Linux kernel allows people to log into
> Linux machines with the same userid, password, etc that they use
> for dial-in, web server access, mainframe use, etc.

How LDAP in *KERNEL* can help this ? Last time I checked all authentification
was done entierly via user-space applications !

You can use openldap server as well (www.openldap.org)...

> There is an LDAP Pluggable Authentication Module for Linux
> at:
> http://www.padl.com/
> that adds LDAP support to the Linux kernel for user
> authentication and, optionally, registration.

I REALLY can not find there ANYTHING about adding LDAP support to Linux
*kernel* :-(( Sorry.

> Usual caveats about Linux's 16-bit numeric UIDs exacerbating
> the hell of aligning multiple manufacturers `reserved' UID/GID
> ranges apply.

Yes, it was discussed few times on l-k. Without real results unfortunatelly :-((

P.S. Are you understood what's "linux kernel" is ? Looks like you don't.
Kernel is kernel. Authentification is not kernel work.