Re: 2.3.10-pre3: imm.c

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:40:28 -0400

Tim Waugh <tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk> said:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > I have one of the older (ppa) ones, and any attempt to write scribbles
> > on the disk (partition table seems to get damaged) and leaves the
> > motor of the drive on. Tried 2.2.10ac{7,8}, 2.3.6, 2.2.5-15 (Mandrake
> > 6.0 stock kernel). Reading works fine so far. WinNT on the same
> > machine works fine, so I doubt the Zip drive is broken.

> Does the problem happen with different Zip disks too? What was the last
> kernel that it worked under?

I tried an old and two new disks, all showed massive corruption. I don't
use the Zip drive much, so I really don't know when it started. At first I
thought I had screwed up and got the stuff again (RedHat updates).

> > Any ideas?

> Not really. It Just Works(tm) here. Most (all?) Zip disks come
> pre-partitioned with one large partition, but that partition is number 4
> (i.e. /dev/sdd4 or whatever); perhaps you are running into trouble with
> that somehow?

No, I'm quite aware of that, and have (had?) my setup working (mtools and
mounting as VFAT). I usually use Zip disks to transport stuff between a
RedHat-5.2 system at work (works flawlessly) and my hacked RedHat-6.0
system at home (massive corruption on writing, even just mounting the disk
and trying to copy something off it triggers it). I'll check the RedHat-6.0
updated kernel later, will see what happens. Haven't been able to try the
latest breaking kernels (2.3.9 up to 2.3.10pre3), as either ppa or the SCSI
modules get undefined symbols on loading. Will check 2.3.10-pre4...

Thanks!

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl