Re: KMSGDUMP: dump kernel messages to a diskette

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:14:29 +0200

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 08:22:47PM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:

> One thought: The main objection to the idea of dumpiing to disk has been
> in connection with the fact that at the time the dump is needed, it might
> not be possible to get reliable details as to where to put it on the
> disk.

The classic answer is using the swapspace for the dump from where a savecore
program will copy the coredump to /var/adm/crash/ and eventually do some
analysis and further processing of the dump.

> To me, the obvious answer to that is to have the dump driver hold a local
> pointer to the relevant location, initialise it at system boot, and have
> hooks in the mount and sync routines to ensure it's still valid.

A more interesting issue is how you'll handle the state of all the kernel
locks.

Ralf