Re: linux headers and C++

Bill Kelly (billk@cts.com)
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 04:27:56 -0700

> Chip Salzenberg <chip@perlsupport.com> wrote:

[...]
> That said, I entirely agree that it's not necessary to use C++ instead
> of C to write good code. On the other hand, I suggest that C++ would
> have been a good choice for the Linux kernel __IF__ a compiler of the
> quality of today's EGCS had been available back then. But it wasn't.

I'm inclined to agree that given a good compiler, C++ should be a good
choice for kernel development - except I seem to recall in that operating
system thread we had a couple weeks ago, the EROS people saying they
regretted choosing C++ and planned to reimplement in C.

That statement has been on my mind a lot since then; perhaps one of the EROS
folk would be willing to provide some details?