Re: Patch for 2.2.10 (Quelle surprise!)

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 06:47:04 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > You still haven't explained why a syscall/sysctl is needed for this
> > when all the information can be obtained by parsing /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Obviously you haven't tried this in a cross-platform manner. (or you
> wrote the libc 6 sysconf() hack and think your code works)

Precisely. I have to maintain separate #ifdefs of code that parses
/proc/cpuinfo for each architecture that Linux runs on. Using sysctl()
would be much more architecture independent thus I can write code once
compile on many.

I've changed my mind and removed Jes Sorenson from my kill-filter, he
might have something interesting to say...

Cheers,
Alex
--

I hate people who gets offended too easily!

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk