Re: Ooops: 2.2.10-ac8 + ncr53c8xx driver

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:45:42 +0200 (MEST)

Alan Cox wrote:
> > This brings up another idea - are there other parts of the kernel that
> > could use poisoning to try to catch bugs?

> I've talked to Stephen about playing with page poisoning when we
> free page cache pages. It would clobber performance but in the
> presence of strange errors might be instructive as a debugging aid

Subtle errors will suddenly turn into filesytem whackers. Hmm.

How about xor-ing the whole page with 0xff, so that no data is really
lost, and that recovery is possible. If fsck finds errors, DO NOT let
it repair things and invert the block before continuing.....

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------