Re: KMSGDUMP: dump kernel messages to a diskette

Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:14:38 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> > > See the bit about dumping on hard reset. Also Albert Cahalan's
> > > '286 return from real mode' comments. Seems like a reasonable
> > > way to go.
> > Reasonable for those who can afford to get their hard disks trashed
> > whilst the bugs are being worked out. I'll wait until it's finished,
> > thank you...
>
> Nope the dump on hard reset via 286 return to real mode should be 100%
> safe, as far as I can tell. Please explain why you think the hard disks
> would be trashed.

The only reasonable option, there seems to be 0x4 reset code which means
"execute int 0x19". Unfortunately, when using this code BIOSes do not
reset interrupt vectors and other stuff needed to boot-up so it would not
work.

Other options are either not defined precisely or need data from RAM,
which might already be trashed. In the latter case it's better to halt or
reboot than to try to recover.

In fact what we really need is a code that means "initialize all hardware
but leave memory intact". PC BIOSes haven't got such an option.