Re: Update linux kernel v1.2.13 to v2.?.?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:29:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? =C1ngel?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E1rquez ?= wrote:

>I have some Linux boxes with kernel 1.2.13 out there, without CD-ROM, and slow
>CPU (about 486DX-33Mhz), and I want to update to the latest version. The problem
>is that all these machines are managed via modem, and I can't send a full
>linux.2.?.?.tar.gz (about 7/8Mb) and wait the compilation.
>
>The idea is upload the zImage -previosuly compiled in a local machine- and
>reinstall lilo, the problem I've found is that some programs does not work -FPE
>error-, I am thinking about problem with /proc structs in the kernel version.
>
>You know, program "ps" uses the /proc interface to show the information
>requested, just like top and I don't know what else.
>
>Thanks in advance. Please, I'm not subscribed to your mailing-list, if you think
>you can help me, send me your notes to my personal e-mail address.

If you're planning on upgrading a box that is running 1.2.13 to
2.2.x, and only by replacing the kernel, you'll quickly find that
you're trying to do something that will result in a lot of wasted
man hours fiddling around.

Backup the system, all important data, etc.. and reinstall a new
modern distribution like RedHat 6.0 or 5.2, and then restore your
pertinent data, and get things running again.

Trying to upgrade a 2.0.x system to 2.2.x is a pain enough, let
alone going from 1.2.x... All old binaries would be a.out on
the 1.2.x system, etc... Not worth the trouble...

By the way, your email address From: field is really screwed,
please change it to something that is not 10 miles long and full
of foreign characters.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...