Re: 2.2.x hang on boot

Kelvin Edwards (kelvin@jlab.org)
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 08:21:21 -0400

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <199907082114.RAA22525@silas.cebaf.gov> Kelvin Edwards (kelvin@jlab.org) wrote:
>
> > I have a quad Pentium III xeon machine that I cannot get to
> > boot using RedHat 5.2 and a compiled kernel > 2.0.36. When
> > it tries to boot the 2.2.6 (for example) kernel, it gets to
> > the "OK, booting the kernel" point and locks up. I must do a
> > manual reset at this point. The system is running fine with
> > the default 2.0.36 kernel installed, but I would like to move
> > to the 2.2.6 kernel to implement RAID-0 and SMP.
>
> Looks like you have bad version of LiLo or something. Try some other loader
> to be sure (loadlin?)...

In an effort to verify this, I have installed a new version of LILO. In addition,
compiling a 2.0.36 kernel and rebooting dies at a later place in the boot process
(I believe this is a SCSI driver problem). In essence, it doesn't seem to be a LILO
issue, but instead an issue of starting the kernel.

> > Current (2.0.36) configuration is
>
> > Kernel modules 2.1.85
> > Gnu C 2.7.2.3
> > Binutils 2.9.1.0.15
> > Linux C Library 2.0.7
> > Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.0.7
> > Linux C++ Library 2.8.0
> > Procps 1.2.9
> > Mount 2.8a
> > Net-tools 1.46
> > Kbd 0.96
> > Sh-utils 1.16
> > Modules Loaded nfs autofs eepro100 appletalk ipx ncr53c8xx
>
> > The machine has 1GB of memory (I use the append function of lilo to
> > tell the kernel that it has something smaller -- 512M, or 960M) and
> > 3 SCSI disks on the Symbios 53C896 bus.
>
> > I have used both the sym53c8xx driver and the ncr53c8xx driver in the
> > kernel and have yet to get either to boot. Any suggestions on what
> > how to compile the kernel to get it to load would be much appreciated.
>
> Since it hangs much earlier in boot process then any SCSI driver can be
> activated it's not a problem here...

I suspected as much. But how does the kernel get loaded and started without
accessing the drive through the SCSI driver ?

Kelvin Edwards
kelvin@jlab.org