Re: mount options for root

Matthias Riese (mri@megatel.de)
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:09:45 +0200

Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 01:04:10PM +0200, Matthias Riese wrote:
> > I want to pass ext2 specific mount options for mounting /
>
> Are they options that need to be specified before / is mounted
> read-only for the filesystem check? If they are not, you can simply
> specify them in /etc/fstab and they will get set when the filesystem
> is remounted read-write. For example:

It's acl=yes.

This was my first trial, but I could not get it working.
I would have to change code in VFS. But:

/*
* Alters the mount flags of a mounted file system. Only the mount point
* is used as a reference - file system type and the device are ignored.
* FS-specific mount options can't be altered by remounting.
*/

static int do_remount_sb(struct super_block *sb, int flags, char *data)

Seems to be a bad idea to change mount options this way?
So I left my hands off.

> $ cat /etc/mtab
> /dev/sda3 / ext2 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
Yes, got this too, but without the option actually enabled.
Seems to be a bug. vfsmnt entries (or whatever /etc/mtab is written from) get updated - but not the superblock.

Matthias Riese