Re: 2.2.x hang on boot

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 20:36:34 +0400 (MSD)

In <3785E941.A71053C2@jlab.org> Kelvin Edwards (kelvin@jlab.org) wrote:
KE> Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> In <199907082114.RAA22525@silas.cebaf.gov> Kelvin Edwards (kelvin@jlab.org) wrote:
>>
>> > I have a quad Pentium III xeon machine that I cannot get to
>> > boot using RedHat 5.2 and a compiled kernel > 2.0.36. When
>> > it tries to boot the 2.2.6 (for example) kernel, it gets to
>> > the "OK, booting the kernel" point and locks up. I must do a
>> > manual reset at this point. The system is running fine with
>> > the default 2.0.36 kernel installed, but I would like to move
>> > to the 2.2.6 kernel to implement RAID-0 and SMP.
>>
>> Looks like you have bad version of LiLo or something. Try some other loader
>> to be sure (loadlin?)...
>>

KE> In an effort to verify this, I have installed a new version of LILO. In addition,
KE> compiling a 2.0.36 kernel and rebooting dies at a later place in the boot process
KE> (I believe this is a SCSI driver problem). In essence, it doesn't seem to be a LILO
KE> issue, but instead an issue of starting the kernel.

WHY you belive this is a SCSI driver problem ? There are must be A LOT OF
messages before loading of SCSI driver ! And you still not said where exactly
it hangs :-)

>> > Current (2.0.36) configuration is
>>
>> > Kernel modules 2.1.85
>> > Gnu C 2.7.2.3
>> > Binutils 2.9.1.0.15
>> > Linux C Library 2.0.7
>> > Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.0.7
>> > Linux C++ Library 2.8.0
>> > Procps 1.2.9
>> > Mount 2.8a
>> > Net-tools 1.46
>> > Kbd 0.96
>> > Sh-utils 1.16
>> > Modules Loaded nfs autofs eepro100 appletalk ipx ncr53c8xx
>>
>> > The machine has 1GB of memory (I use the append function of lilo to
>> > tell the kernel that it has something smaller -- 512M, or 960M) and
>> > 3 SCSI disks on the Symbios 53C896 bus.
>>
>> > I have used both the sym53c8xx driver and the ncr53c8xx driver in the
>> > kernel and have yet to get either to boot. Any suggestions on what
>> > how to compile the kernel to get it to load would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Since it hangs much earlier in boot process then any SCSI driver can be
>> activated it's not a problem here...

KE> I suspected as much. But how does the kernel get loaded and started without
KE> accessing the drive through the SCSI driver ?

Via accessing driver through the SCSI BIOS :-) It is so simple as it is:
kernel and initrd disk is loaded with BIOS help (and so kernel must be
avaible to loading via BIOS!) and then it's booted. Acess via driver happens
on really late stage.