Re: Can't sleep less than 20 ms

Jim Gettys (jg@pa.dec.com)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:46:53 -0700

> Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> From: Jamie Lokier <lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:46:21 +0200
> To: Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@bitwizard.nl>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: Can't sleep less than 20 ms
> -----
> Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > IA32 should also use HZ=1000. However, the API (now cast in stone)
> > specifies that HZ == 100 when seen from userland. Linus has suggested
> > that the kernel-HZ need not be the same as what is "published" to the
> > user applications.
>
> HZ == 1000 looks like yet another arbitrary decision. Why is 1000Hz
> good enough yet 100Hz is not?

yup. Another arbitrary number (the rate of HZ on Alpha, btw).

In the Alpha case, we did some experiments at the time we went to the
new architecture to see how much overhead running at a higher rate would
cost; we made sure it was less than 1% on the slowest Alpha that would
ever exist.... Along comes Linux years later, and there have been some
schedular related performance problems recently uncovered as a result
due to the simplicity (stupidity?) of the Linux scheduler, but I've seen
no reason to regret this so far (the Linux schedular problems are generic:
they just show up 10 times as often at 1000hz).

Arguing that the interrupt load at 1000hz is significant on today's
processor is specious.