Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream nonsense)

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:05:21 +1000

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 10:34:18PM +0200, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 08:59:48AM +1000, Nathan Hand wrote:
> > I think this is a fabricated reason to put the functionality into the
> > kernel. GUI users *don't* use the command line. People who do use the
> > command line will understand the implications and will move the whole
> > directory (using tar, or recursive copy).
>
> So your GUI apps will have to do everything for you, cause they can't call
> command-line tools to do the job.
> You know what Un*x philosophy is about?
> I'll tell you: Having a lot of small, clean, flexible tools, which you can
> combine to get what you want, either on the command line or by a GUI using
> them.

I've already responded to this post, but this particular line struck
me as particularly ridiculous.

This person is here telling me what the UNIX philosophy is, which is
not only insulting, but also came completely out of the blue.

Yet they seemed to have missed the fundamental concept of UNIX: that
everything wants to be a file, and that a file is a bag of bytes.

This concept of UNIX runs even deeper than the toolkit philosophy (a
philosophy that was documented many years after UNIX was born).

So it seems that some fundamental concepts of UNIX should be ignored
when convenient to do so, like files being bags of bytes, but if you
want to insult the people disagreeing with you or imply that they're
not as "UNIX savvy" as you, simply explain the "UNIX philosophy" (in
condescending tones) and then loudly yell that they're Windows users
in disguise (possibly in the hope that nobody would seriously listen
to their arguments after that).

> So what you ask for is this 1GB Mega Office app doing everything in one
> place. You want to reinvent W*n and its style of apps and have these on
> Un*x. Forget it!

See, I'm a prophet :-/

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$