Re: PATCH to support dotted base directory names

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:38:23 +0200

According to Richard B. Johnson:
> On 9 Jul 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > Because init=/.sbi/init doesn't just start /.sbi/init as PID #1, it
> > starts an _internal kernel init_ which keeps on respawning the program
> > you pass to init= . That program doesn't have init-like properties
> > (can be killed, is not PID #1).
>
> Have you actually tried this? I assure you that there is no such thing
> as an 'internal kernel init'. Look at the code.

Depends on which code you look at. But you're right, in 2.2.x this is no
longer the case. In 2.0.x however, things happended as I outlined above.

I'm glad to find out this was fixed.

Mike.

--
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.