Re: [BUG] TCP connections between Linux and NT

Petru Paler (ppetru@bv.ro)
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:35:25 +0300

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 07:08:58PM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:

> > [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
> >
> > Any kind of TCP connections between a Linux (2.2.10) and a NT Server 4
> > (Service Pack 5) slow down to a crawl.
>
> How about pinging kobold with 1460-byte ICMP packets? It looks like heavy
> packet loss to me. What do you have to change to make things go fast

The packet loss is very small. If I ping -f from Linux to NT the hub gets
overloaded but the NT machine still manages to respond to about 60% of the
packets. But there's no sign of traffic when I initiate the TCP connection
(that can be seen in the tcpdump).

> again -- how did NT4 SP4 behave on the same machine (if it was ever on
> that machine), for example?

I have no ideea how to make it work fast. And I forgot to mention, all
Service Packs worked fine *until* I switched on the Linux side from 2.0.37
to 2.2.10.

Andi: I will try your suggestions later when I get into the office. I will
also send you tcpdumps with another Linux 2.2.10 and a win9x

-Petru