Re: OOPs: 2.2.10 + pcmcia-cs-3.0.13 (ThinkPad390E + 3CCFE575BT)

Otel Florian-Daniel (otel@ce.chalmers.se)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 02:19:31 +0200 (MET DST)

"Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@adelphia.net> writes:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Otel Florian-Daniel wrote:

>> I just tried to splash RH6.0 on a ThinkPad390E with a 3Com Megahertz
>> combo card. The stock RH pcmcia.img OOPsed (same as below) upon installation
>> couldn't get the card running. I still installed the system, then upgraded
>> to the latest (kernel to 2.2.10 and pcmcia-cs 3.0.13). Even after
>> upgrading, when booting or when issuing a 'cardctl ident' i get
>> OOPsed. Booting __without__ the card inserted is O.K.: The host
>> controler is identified and the cardmgr is started:
>>

> I'm having zero luck with pcmcia-cs-3.0.13, .14 or anything, with kernel
> 2.2.10-ac10.

> Looks like the same thing you're reporting. cardmgr triggers kernel oops
> at init time. I'm unable to update the kernel on that machine.

After reading carefully the HOWTO (doh!) , my best bet is that it is a
memory probe failure: The cardmgr is started properly and the core
modules (ds, i82365, pcmcia_core) are loaded properly (see the
/var/log/messages excerpt in my previous postings). _Then_ inserting a card I
get OOOPsed.

So I tried the following:

Marcel Schmidt <schmidt@osys.ch> writes:
> Hello
> In /etc/pcmcia/config.opts remove the high memory range. Just say
> "include memory 0xc000-0xfffff".

But i still got the same OOPs. I wil try to install a Win* to see the
card working there and __maybe__ i can get the params properly from
there (i.e. include only a small mem range).

In the first place I thought it's a 3c575_cb driver problem, but
(many thanks to Donald B.) seems it's the general PCMCIA/CardBus
control code problem.

> It's an IBM ThinkPad 365X, RedHat 5.2 + kernel-2.2.x with a Linksys
> 10/100Base card.

Again, my card is a 3Com Megahertz 3CCFE575BT, so AFAICT it's a
different driver than the one for your card. But this tells me once more is
the CardBus code to blame and not a driver specific bug.

> Steve

All the best,

Florian.

P.S: Sorry for re-postings and for huge attachments. I didn't realized
that vger has such a lag (albeit understandable considering the amount
of traffic exchanged). Apologies once more.