Re: Problem with get_user(), put_user() functions...

Augusto Cesar Radtke (bishop@sekure.org)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:45:35 -0300 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Grigory Lyahovitsky wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have taken the example code of interaction (data transfering) between user
> and kernel space through /proc filesystem at:
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/lkmpg/node17.html
>
> But, it failed to run on my linux (kernel 2.2.3) when I done 'insmod procfs.o'
> with next errors:
>
> procfs.o: unresolved symbol __put_user_X
> procfs.o: unresolved symbol __get_user_X

Sometime ago with a personal thread with Linus, he says to me that the
functions put_user and get_user should never be used, except when you know
what really are you doing, these functions doesn't have a range check and
you need to use a verify_area() before. So use the new 2.2.x
copy_from_user and copy_to_user, examples of utilization can be found at
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/porting-to-2.2.html

--
Augusto Cesar Radtke
Sekure SDI