Re: NFSv3 support (bugs, some fixes, and more)

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:53:34 +0200

ben fleis wrote:
> > Ultimately, however, it's probably a pragmatic/security issue if a rogue
> > NFS server can confuse the Linux kernel into a less-than-stable state by
> > reusing fileids with different handles.
>
> this would definitely be a problem --- imagine deleting a file and having
> the inode number reused within the same NFS session. this is far from
> impossible, and should be handled gracefully.

Data point: 2.2.10 returns "I/O error" when an NFS server returns two
different handles with the same fileid. I don't know if there are any
bad side effects, but the kernel is still running ok.

I found this by writing a buggy NFS server :)

-- Jamie