Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:36:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> JarJar Binks^W^WSupport for CRLF<->LF translation in the kernel
>must die. Unless somebody has damn good reasons for preserving this
>bogosity I'm going to exterminate the bloody thing. It is guilty in:
> a) breaking mmap() semantics.
> b) breaking lseek() semantics.
> c) breaking write() semantics.
> d) being bloody slow, painful and kludgy.
> e) making FAT support with the new page cache hard.
> f) confusing the hell of unaware victims^Wusers.
> g) bringing the list of magical filename extensions into the kernel.
> h) belonging to userland *and* being already implemented there.
>If somebody has really convincing arguments for preserving the sucker -
>tell. Otherwise it will die.

I agree. It is pure bloat. todos/fromdos are there to solve the
problem. It shouldn't be in-kernel.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...