Re: KMSGDUMP: dump kernel messages to a diskette

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, [iso-8859-1] willy tarreau wrote:
> Last note: machines on which disks are limited by
> bios to 1024 cylinders often have only the
> root partition accessible from the bios (504M), and
> other parts (swap included) are left after the 1024th cylinder. In that
> case, dump will not be possible.

Since a crashdump is mainly a debugging tool for developers, I would
assume anyone planning to use it would partition their drive accordingly.

In any case you could make multiple swap partitions and use one for
dumping. (There are other possibilities too, such as a dedicated dump
parttition similar to some other unixes)

-Dan