Re: ReiserFS in Standard Kernel?

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:01:45 -0400

"Edward S. Marshall" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> > It appears the current ReiserFS code over at http://devlinux.com/namesys/ has
> > reached the point of stability and I was curious if there were any plans to
> > integrate it into the standard kernel.
>
> Count this as a request to see reiserfs in the 2.3 series too. But...
>
> Anyone running a reasonably high-traffic news server these days threw out
> the one-file-per-article storage method a long time ago. It just doesn't
> scale to 30-40G per day.

Why not? 30-40GB/day is only 2.8-3.7 Mbps sustained rate. And if you aren't
providing news to other service providers, you are only peaking around 10-15
GB/day with current USENET feeds plus the user requests. If your drives ever get
corrupted, flush them... not like the data can't be replaced. The small file tax
isn't that big of a deal with current drive prices.

It's all about putting news caches placed at every POP :)

Squid developers however have been claiming their main bottleneck is the
filesystem for some time. With web caches, you are doing a whole lot of
deletions, stats, reads and writes. Roughly 50-60% of all requests will result
in the deletion of a file. This is where ReiserFS really shines.

Anyway, it'd be nice to have ReiserFS in the tree....

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com