Re: Patch to implement getattr [patch]

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:07:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Alexander Viro wrote:
> > 3. As for inode numbers - look at the stuff in fs/fat/inode.c. You can do
> > constant inumbers during the life of *open* file.
>
> And since FAT has no hard links, as long as inumbers are not reused
> quickly this gives correct behaviour with cpio, tar, cp etc.

Jamie, look into the file in question. There sits an implementation
of dual caching. fs may use its own key (of arbitrary size - icache
doesn't care) and completely avoid iget(). Not messing with icache
behaviour.

> It isn't so correct with filesystems that have hard links.

Yes, it is. Internally FAT uses the directory entry location as the key.
Glue in fs/fat/inode.c allows icache to keep constant i_ino and have its
way wrt purging, etc. IIRC I've posted a description of this stuff on
linux-fsdevel back in April or May. Look through archives - fsdevel is not
too noisy.