Re: [Summary] Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:04:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> Did you give any thought to my NTFS problem (did I even tell you about it)?
> The problem is the FILE records can span multiple blocks and I want to avoid
> the kmalloc, memcpy stuff that the driver currently does. The buffer cache
> doesn't (AFAICS) cope with reading chunks that are multiples of the block
> size ATM, 'cos it ain't needed for normal filesystems.

Look at the block_read_full_page() in 2.3.x - it takes a page, creates a
bunch of buffer_heads and binds them to parts of page. Then it initiates
the read requests on them. No extra copying. Almost the same works for
writing.