Re: need multiple e2fsck runs

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:56:25 +0200

now the final notes about my problems: I got my memory replaced
and there are no errors anymore (neither with memtest86 nor Daniel's test)
and compilation doesn't corrupt fs anymore (still running the same 2.2.10-ac9).

thanks for suggestions and help, and sorry for the bandwidth about broken hardware:(

On Jul 12, Harald Koenig wrote:

> long tests during the weekend showed that it's bad memory in my case (or other
> hardware problem, I'll replace memory tomorrow and we'll know for sure:-(.
>

> thanks to Daniel Kobras <daniel.kobras@student.uni-tuebingen.de> I got a
> nice small hack for testing ram which has only _very_ rare bit errors like in
> my case. it allocates and reserves (almost) all memory, fills it with
> all 1s (in my case) and then only sits there and tests the memory for changes
> from time to time.
>
> in my case, in bytes with address regexp pattern 0x07[01].[159d]c68 and 0x07[89].[159d]468
> (just below 128M) sometimes bit 5 got cleared (0xff -> 0xbf) after many minutes
> (usually many 10 minutes to hours).
>

> this also matches the pattern which I found once when the emacs binary
> was corrupted in buffer cache (do the decimal/octal/hex math yourself
> and keep in mind that `cmp' starts counting at 1!) :
>
> # cmp -l /usr/bin/emacs.good /usr/bin/emacs.bad
> 300137 355 255
>
> and dropping bits in the ext2fs allocation bitmap pages can explain the `duplicate block's
> which I got as only fs curruption pattern.
>

> Harald
>
> PS: memtest86 really should be improved to do such a test "wait _long_ time for bit flips"
> since it's now the 3rd time where I see/know such problems.

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\