Re: kernel thread support - LWP's

Nate Tuck (nate.tuck@raycer.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:56:16 -0700

At 01:15 PM 7/15/99 -0400, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
>Under what reasonable circumstances will you have more than a couple of
>threads ready for scheduling?

In cases where developer time (or time to market) is at a premium and the
problems at hand require some kind of modular parallelism. I have a
program on my desk that can run >20 active threads on a one CPU machine.
Given the problem(s) we had to solve with it, threads saved us many
man-months of development effort and were the right answer. I can imagine
that other developers have the same sorts of quandaries (or would if they
understood how threads could help them).

nate