Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:30:02 +0200

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > IP masq changes the data too for specific apps. Simply rewriting the
> > headers is not enough for applications which pass addresses & port
> > numbers in their protocol.
>
> I guess the important difference is that IP masquerading only substitutes
> bytes; it neither inserts nor deletes bytes.

Actually masquerading _does_ insert & delete bytes too :)

> [CRLF conversion] My vote is to kill that feature in 2.3 and retroactively
> add a warning to 2.2.11.

FWIW my vote is to kill CRLF conversion too.

The only time I used it was by accident and _what_ an irritation that was.
And there are quite a few apps that read files using `mmap'. You want
CRLF conversion to work for some apps and not others?

-- Jamie