Re: Linux NFS client problems with SGI server

Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Fri, 16 Jul 99 17:22:53 +0200

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:59:21 +0100 (GMT), Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi Eric.

Hi Riley,

> > The situation: an SGI Origin 200 fileserver running IRIX 6.4,
> > exporting two filesystems for ~25 clients (SGI
> > Indy/O2/Octane/Onyx, Sun Sparc IPC, i386 Linux). The IRIX NFS
> > server supports NFS v2 and v3; the SGI clients use v3, the Suns
> > v2, and I don't know how to find out what the Linux machine
> > uses.
>
> > The exports file on the Origin (server1) looks like:
>
> > /usr/it -access=clients:friends
> > /usr/it/images -access=clients:friends,nohide
> > /home -access=clients:friends

[snip]

> > I tried several mount options: rsize=4096, nolock and nfsvers=2
> > but the problem still remains. The machine is running Debian 2.0.
>
> My experience has all been with RedHat distributions, 4.1, 5.1, 5.2
> and now 6.0, so this may not be relevant, but in my experience, nfs
> mounts need to have the following options specified:

Should not be relevant, I think. I expect the kernel version is more
important here (correct me if I'm wrong). Just in case it _is_ relevant:

kalman:/# mount --version
mount: mount-2.7l

> rsize=8192,soft,wsize=8192
>
> The 2.0 kernels could manage with just those options, but the 2.1 and
> 2.2 kernels need either 'ro' or 'nolock' in addition to the above, and
> for some reason, specifying rsize=8192 without wsize=8192 made the
> mount unstable, even if it was mounted RO !!!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I used the same values for rsize and
wsize. I just remounted the /usr/it filesystem with
"defaults,rsize=8192,soft,wsize=8192,nolock" with the following results:

kalman:/# mount
[snip irrelevant lines]
server1:/usr/it on /usr/it type nfs (rw,rsize=8192,soft,wsize=8192,nolock,addr=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd)
kalman:/# date
Fri Jul 16 16:43:56 CEST 1999
kalman:/# ls /usr/it/
i386linux/ irix53/ irix63/ irix65@ sun4/
images/ irix62@ irix64/ packages/
kalman:/# ls /usr/it/
ls: /usr/it/: Input/output error
kalman:/# date
Fri Jul 16 16:44:02 CEST 1999
kalman:/# tail /var/log/syslog
Jul 16 16:42:24 kalman kernel: __nfs_fhget: inode 128 still busy,i_count=2
Jul 16 16:42:24 kalman kernel: __nfs_fhget: killing /// filehandle
Jul 16 16:42:44 kalman kernel: __nfs_fhget: inode 128 still busy,i_count=2
Jul 16 16:42:44 kalman kernel: __nfs_fhget: killing /// filehandle
Jul 16 16:43:59 kalman kernel: __nfs_fhget: inode 128 still busy,i_count=2
Jul 16 16:43:59 kalman kernel: __nfs_fhget: killing /// filehandle

As you can see in the log, the problem is repeatable.

The strange thing is that "ls /usr/it/packages" doesn't go wrong. Maybe
the "nohide" option in the server's exports file confuses Linux? For
historical reasons I need /usr/it/images, so removing the nohide option on
the server is not a preferable option.

> I also seem to remember a thread here on linux-kernel about six months
> back on this subject, where it was stated that the size options needed
> to be set to at least 8192 for some reason. However, I can't remember
> what the reason was.

The nfs(5) manpage says it is for performance reasons.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl