Re: Memory hogs

Walter Reed (walt@hubinternet.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:54:37 -0700

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 08:46:08PM +0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 bernd.paysan@gmx.de wrote:
> > Rik van Riel wrote:
> > > Please don't. My little algorithm (with no overhead on a normal
> > > system) works great -- it has been tested by simulation folks
> > > who want a 16MB netscape killed in favor of their week-old,
> > > 150MB simulation.
> >
> > Ok, I'll adapt your patch. The only gripe I have is that it
> > doesn't send out warning shoots before, that allow tasks to quit
> > nicely.
>
> That can be added without much effort. The real hard part has
> been in getting the 'task chooser' right...

I haven't looked at your patch or how the kernel currently handles OOM,
but is there / should there be a reserved amount for root processes kind
of like there is a reserve for root on ext2 filesystems? Then Root could
continue to do things but normal user would be blocked / killed...

Now if it's a root task that is causing the OOM, that is another problem
altogether... (Hopefully, most memory pigs would not be running as root
in the first place...)