Re: lockd problems

The Doctor What (docwhat@gerf.org)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:19:47 -0500

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 01:59:21PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > H.J.,
> >
> > I'm having serious problems with NFS file locking. I'm running 2.2.10
> > with Alan Cox's patchset ac10 applied. This has (AFAIK) all of your knfsd
> > fixes except for standalone lockd, which I originally added on top of his
> > (no conflicts whatever).
> >

> Have you tried the plain Linux 2.2.7 plus patches from knfsd 1.4.6?
> The bugs may be in 2.2.10-ac10.

I have a similar problem that Steven Hirsch's locker program triggers:
For no descernable reason, sometimes an export will become Read-Only to
everyone. If I then try to rmmod nfs and lockd, then I can't (they're
busy). A reboot cures this, but it isn't consistant.

That was with kernel 2.2.9, 2.2.10 produces similar results, though not
exactly the same. nfsd can't restart in 2.2.10, because "address is in
use".

Since I'm going to be shipping this in a server product, I need a kernel
that can do this, plus cover the maximal amount of hardware. Is it only
possible to go backwards, to 2.2.7 + nfsd patches? Or can I go forwards
somehow?

Thanks for all your help (on this and other issues).

Ciao!

--
Alan Stanwyck: You do own rubber gloves?
Fletch: I rent 'em. I have a lease with an option to buy.

The Doctor What: A really hip dude http://www.gerf.org/~docwhat/ docwhat@gerf.org (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key) KF6VNC