Re: OOM

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 09:35:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> I don't like the idea of killing off tasks that request resources
> that are not presently available.

So? Got any better idea?

> I think they should sleep (interruptable) until resouces are
> available -if ever.

s/interruptable/indefinately/

Once we're out of memory, you lose. Unless we do something
about the OOM situation, that is. Without memory no task
will be able to proceed and exit gracefully. Well, maybe
it can, but I don't want to wait an hour for my machine to
become usable again.

> This allows the user to determine if he/she wants a particular
> task to continue.

And how do you want the task to exit gracefully? What memory
do you use to present the user with some options? (we're OUT
OF MEMORY, remember?) Have you thought about the problem at
all?

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.