Re: Memory hogs

Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:22:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Rik van Riel wrote:
> OK. Then let's integrate my solution so that we have at
> least _something_ NOW.

Sounds fine with me. The current behaviour isn't useful anyway.

> It has taken almost a year and
> my patch has always bounced off on discussions where NO
> code for any of the other proposals has shown up.

My comment wasn't against your patch but on a suggestion (or, rather,
on such suggestions in general) for putting a lot of OOM policy into
the kernel. I tried to show that there can be many useful policies
which are hard to implement in the kernel, even if bloat is not an
issue. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

- Werner