Re: AIC 5.1.18 _broken_

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:28:51 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > If it _does_, what happens? If it is possible to oops/corrupt the kernel
> > then I say fix it. If is it just a case that read() may return slightly
> > old data, or similar, then sod it :-)
>
> Then there is process accounting, core dumps, ..
>
> The two liner regrettably is in the "elegant, clean, broken" category

What about another task flag to cope with this? Hunt down the places
which do set_fs(KERNEL_DS) and set a flag in the dangerous case.

Then the two-liner can examine that flag instead of get_ds().

Disclaimer: this suggestion based upon having seen the proposed
solution, rather than an understanding of the original problem :)

Matthew.