Re: [RFC] - Some notions that I would like comments on

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

On 19-Jul-99 Jamie Lokier wrote:
>> My current approach is to reorganize the ELF file itself. This is
>> naturally more complex, but it does take advantage of the typical
>> assumptions made in filesystem layout algorithms. Unfortunately it
>> does generate rather atypical ELF files (hundreds of loadable
>> segments), and I think I'm running into bugs in the libc dynamic
>> linker.
>
> Just changing the Program Header table, leaving all the sections &
> relocs alone then?

Actually the code is a little destructive, and it stomps all the sections
(symbol table, comments, debug, etc) and everything else which isn't essential
to making an executable object. I've only been working with executables so
far, so I haven't looked into the details of how it would work with shared
libraries.

It isn't possible to get away with simply rearranging the PHDRs, because of
course you have to physically reorder all the data they point to, since that's
the point of the exercise.