Re: Linux 2.2.11pre2 proposed patch

Gary L. Hennigan (glhenni@cs.sandia.gov)
20 Jul 1999 07:26:07 -0600

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
[snip]
> o FAT now uses cluster numbering for inode info
> o Fix the fact FAT32 is really FAT28

I reported this earlier, for 2.2.10-ac10, so I thought I'd try
2.2.11pre2, and I get the same behavior, namely the inode numbers on
vfat partitions change between boots. I use tar for incremental
backups and when it notices an inode change between backups it assumes
a rename and does a backup. Needless to say, the fact that vfat
partitions don't have constant inode #'s plays havoc with my backup
scheme. This didn't happen with 2.0.36 and 2.2.10-ac10 is the first
2.2.x series kernel I've used.

Is this "varying inode" behavior on vfat drives going to be the
standard now or is something wrong with my setup?

Thanks,
Gary Hennigan