Re: New kernel/resource.c

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
21 Jul 1999 14:12:27 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9907211331360.20917-100000@mao.acc.umu.se>,
David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> wrote:

>My question is, is it intended to be used by the MCA-bus as well? It has
>nothing (!) to do with the PCI-bus or the ISA-bus, and it's in quite a few
>PC's (admittedly none newer than a Pentium, but anyway)

At least as it is used right now, the ioport and iomem resources might
as well be considered to be a "CPU bus", in the sense that they are
organized around how a ia32 CPU sees the bus.

So in that sense it certainly would apply to MCA too.

However, this is something that might change later. IF we decide that
we really want to make the resources be more oriented towards the bus
addressing (which implies that we'd change "inb/outb/readb/writeb" too:
this is a MAJOR change, and not likely to happen in the next few years),
at that point MCA might either not be an issue any more or we'd give it
a resource of its own..

So the answer is "at least for now, possibly forever".

Linus