Re: Hot-swappable kernels?

Bernd Paysan (bernd.paysan@gmx.de)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:54:29 +0000

Martin Ranang Thorsen wrote:
> With the awareness that I now might make a complete fool of myself, I
> still want to ask some questions, with the hope of getting
> enlightened. I've been looking for the answers to this topic for some
> time now, but I've found none yet.

There has been a discussion in comp.arch about making operating systems
hot-swappable. This does require deep design changes and it's very
unlikely that Linux will make these design changes just for being
hot-swappable. There are swappable parts in the kernel (modules), but
they all require to take that specific service down before swap.

The basic issue is that all kernel services must be state-less. Since a
lot of current OS services are all but stateless, they have to be
rewritten to store the state somewhere else. Basically, whenever
possible, move state to the application. When not possible (security
concerns, or performance problems), you need a self-describing
persistent structure of the data. The new kernel then can figure out how
to convert it to the new internal format.

Difficult? Nightmare!

--
Bernd Paysan