[OT] Re: some AmigaOS/UNIX comparison points, from faulty memory

Mike (mike@oxlug.org)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:14:44 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Denis Bucher wrote:

> > The Amiga lacked text-mode hardware. This is a lack.
>
> You have the shell, which is text-mode.

Eh? IIRC the shell did not run in a hardware text mode. It ran in a
window in the same graphics mode as everything else was using.

> > The "snip" program, similar to "selection" or gpm, had to
> > do a sort of "digital font recognition".
>
> No, this is a kludge that enables to copy even from GUI program that
> doesn't support it...

Yes... From a GUI program you need it, but if you had text mode hardware,
then when in text mode you would not need to do any sort of recognition.

> > Idono, but I think IFF is basically an un-bounded data description language.
>
> You have IFF pictures, sounds, configfiles, animations, and any program may
> save it's data in it's own IFF file...

IFF was *nice*, IMHO.

> > I see one general categorization of Linux users. There's the net.gods,
> > i.e. the classico UNIXers, which the core developers mostly are, and the
> > orphaned Amigans. I, obviously, am the latter. So why don't I get an
> > Amiga?
>
> And the dispointed Windows users...

Are there actually many of them using Amigas?

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

One monk said to the other, "The fish has flopped out of the net! How will it live?" The other said, "When you have gotten out of the net, I'll tell you."