Re: Multiple Problems

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:32:59 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Bruce Korb wrote:

> Also, I have a relatively new Iomega parport zip drive.
> Despite loading the parport driver, neither the imm driver
> (which I think is the right one) nor the ppa driver will
> load. They complain of the port being busy. There is
> nothing on it that I know about. The HOWTOs were not too
> helpful. One mentioned that a certain message meant that
> SCSI was loaded but could not see anything. I got that
> message, but the HOWTO did not say what to do about
> it :-(.

I don't know what kernel SuSE 6.1 ships with, but presumably it's a recent
2.2.x.

There is an outstanding problem with the Zip driver and Asus motherboards
in EPP+ECP mode. If your BIOS menu offers other modes for your parallel
port, it's worth trying them out.

Another thing that's worth checking is that parport is actually providing
ports for ppa to use. Both the parport and parport_pc modules should be
loaded, and /proc/parport/ should give you information about the ports
that it's using.

Tim.
*/