Re: [2.3.11=pre6]: No OOPS, but mount segfaults remounting "/"?

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:14:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > > On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > >
> > > I already did this myself, let's see what the differences are.
> >
> > Hmm... I'ld like to do it, but.. I don't have your version ;-)
>
> Oh, sorry. I'm uploading pre-8 to ftp.kernel.org right now.

Aha. They are mostly equivalent, except that I missed low-level stuff on
x86 and you left release_segments() in the blocking part (why?). Plus in
several places I used mm_count when you did mm_users. Fine with me.

Non-obvious difference: destroy_context() is gone in your version. Methink
we'ld better leave it around... Probably it's a question to DaveM - all
non-trivial context stuff sits in sun4c.c and srmmu.c.

Another thing: checks in binfmt_{elf,aout,whatnot}.c (is it dumpable?)
should go into the top-level code. Otherwise we'll spend the eternity
trying to resync all copies. I'll do it if you have no objections. And it
starts to smell like we would be better off with a kernel/mm.c instead of
all having the context-related stuff scattered over the tree. Comments?

> A lot of things actually became a lot cleaner with the "two counters"
> approach. There may be something I missed, but it was a pleasure to do the
> changes.

Same here ;-)

> Whether it WORKS is another matter ;). It runs fine here, but I bet there
> was some detail I missed.
>
> Note that my implementation changed a bit from what I outlined yesterday
> evening: the non-lazy mm's count as just "one" in mm_count.
[snip]
> instead. It made things simpler in some other areas.

I really don't see where it helps, but it definitely doesn't hurt. No
objections here.

Cheers,
Al