Re: FS corruption... some help maybe??

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:14:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Joe wrote:

> > 1. inetd will notice any changes to inetd.conf automaticlly.
>
> I must be to used to other Unix systems where inetd must be
> restarted.. on Solaris, and AIX any changes to the /etc/services
> or /etc/inetd.conf required a reboot.. restarting inetd never
> worked, or if it did telnet sessions start to flake out..

RTFM. man inetd and there you go. kill -1 <pid_of_inetd> makes it
reread the /etc/inetd.conf. Yes, on all Unices. inetd rereads the
configuration when it gets a SIGHUP. Pretty standard convention for
daemons. Ferchrissake, it's plainly written in inetd manpage on every
system I ever dealt with. From Solaris one:

New services can be activated, and existing services deleted
or modified by editing the configuration file, then sending
inetd a SIGHUP signal.

Furrfu... Indeed, killing the thing when it has active children
(in.telnetd, for one) is going to orphan them. Why doing that? There is
clearly documented way to change the configuration. Trust man(1), man is
your friend...