Re: Putting Perl into Linux Kernel

Craig Sanders (cas@vicnet.net.au)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:54:16 +1000

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 08:56:34AM -0700, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

> Hello Sean, I personally do not want to see perl dumped into the
> kernel space .

i agree (not that my opinion counts, since i'm not a kernel hacker) -
perl doesn't belong in the kernel.

> But I sure would like to know of a project (I thought I heard
> something once before, but ...) to set it up as a daemon , ie: all
> libs & ... aleady loaded . Yes I am aware of the apache module . Is
> there such a project ?

SpeedyCGI is what you want. it's mostly used for cgi stuff but is
generically useful for any perl script...it does for any perl script
what mod_perl does for apache & CGI: makes the script "persistent". any
script which takes a long time to start up, compile, load config files,
or initialise variables will benefit.

http://www.daemoninc.com/speedycgi/

craig

--