Re: Measured overhead of timer interrupts

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:16:10 +0200

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 05:32:01PM +0200, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> Besides that, we have several sysctl variables, measured in HZ, because
> sysctl interface in 2.2 did not allow to convert milliseconds to jiffies.
> It should be fixed, certainly.

Actually sysctl allows converting everything, if you just put in a pointer to
your own handling function [of course for ms it should be put into sysctl.c
as a generic mechanism]. proc_dointvec is just a default.

> > we do not want to export HZ, why should we? HZ has no meaning to anything
> > else than the kernel. If the kernel exports HZ-dependent values into
> > /proc, then that has to be fixed. (yes it might be painful in some cases)
> > HZ might even go away in future kernels - what if we start using
> > nonperiodic timer interrupts?
>
> Mmm... HZ is necessary unixism measuring minimal timer resolution.
> If we will have timer with variable resolution, it will be revolution.
> What go you think, will this "future kernel" to schedule events
> in microsecond scale? It would be great improvement.

At least there is already Ulrich Windl's "nanokernel" patch around, based
on the BSD NTP reference work. So far it doesn't seem to have a nano
"add_timer", but it probably wouldn't be too hard to add (and will be needed
anyways for POSIX timers)

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.